IceHorse

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The white kids are rapping (and it's all good)

I'm at the Iceland Airwaves HQ exchanging my concert pass for a wristband and drinking an $8 Beamish stout. My research paid off in the drinking department. Picking up a half price fifth of Jamisson's at the duty free store will keep my entertainment costs down while I'm out and about. I´ll have to pick up a cool flask. I really like the people so far. Not overly friendly, but forthcoming with whatever info I'm drilling them for.

so here is the low-down: chill at the hotel till about 11:30 then catch the last bus to downtown to check out eh venues. Tonight is when I test the "they kick everyone out of the bars at 3am and party in the street" theory.

Hotel Cabin is pretty far away from downtown as hotel's go, but I went for the budget deal, and there is a grocery store near by. Hotel Borg is right smack in the middle of everything and I´ll have to look into the price difference for next time.

anyway, back to the kids. There is a band of 4 in the corner between two portable JBL speakers. A tallish male DJ (actually mixing), two young blond girls: one rapping and the other driving the melodies hip-hop style. The fourth member is a guy playing pickup and jumping into vocals for this and that. They are dressed in street cloths like the patrons and really seem to be enjoying themselves. "what nice kids" comes to mind. The boys are clean cut and euro-thin while the girls are model-cute (all the women here are). Not trying to be rock starts, just having fun and (hopefully) getting paid. Tonight is a quite night on the show schedule. Only a few venues have acts. I'm heading over to NASA when my beer runs out to catch what appears to be the big deal of the evening: Brain Police is labeled as "stoner rock". Mayhap I'll find another long hair or (gasp) a PBR.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home