IceHorse

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Quest for the strongest beer


I've got two things swimming around in my head. The #4 bus route back to the hotel and a desire to find the strongest beer in Iceland. The Helka guide told story of an 11 percent brew... Brief interruption while I cringe at an otherwise descent male duo absolutely slaughtering thru a rendition of Alice in Chains' "No excuses". And now they are getting applause. Holly shit I could be a rock star here...Anyway, the current contender in the percent challenge is Leffe Bruine at 6.5. Can't read the label, but looks to be from Belgium.
next stop and next contender is Viking olgerd (can't do the fancy o and d on my phone) this Icelandic brew only clocks in at 5.6 percent. Looks like the home colors are dragging. Things have gone from bad to worse at my latest stop. We are down to 5 percent out of the draft. Although my ordering "the strongest beer" gets laughs and applause from patrons. I got caught up in conversation at this last place and turned from beer to something they make here called the "black death". Funny how you go looking for one thing and stumble upon another treasure. The "Black Death" is served up as a shot. Not sweet like I was expecting, not much of a taste at all really. It's a vodka I think. So the quest was a bust for the fabled 11% did not appear (the ferries must be hiding it). I made a few friends at the Grand Rock, including the bearded and slurring Thorsteinn Sveinsson. I believe we were talking about opening an echo-tourist guesthouse on his farm.

[ posted from my phone ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home